Geriatrics Workforce Enhancement Program (GWEP)
The Geriatrics Workforce Enhancement Program (GWEP) supports the development of a health care workforce that maximizes patient, family and caregiver engagement and improves health outcomes for older adults by integrating interdisciplinary team geriatrics into primary care. The JABSOM Geriatric Medicine Department was awarded a three-year, $2.5 million grant through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Geriatrics Workforce Enhancement Program to carry out with its partners essential training to doctors and health professional about geriatric care and awareness.
Four Primary Focus Areas:
- Transforming clinical training environments to integrated geriatrics and primary care delivery systems to ensure trainees are well prepared to practice in and lead these kind of systems.
- Developing providers who can assess and address the needs of older adults and their families/caregivers at the individual, community, and population levels.
- Creating and delivering community-based programs that will provide patients, families and caregivers with the knowledge and skills to improve health outcomes and the quality of care for the older adult.
- Providing Alzheimer’s disease and related dementia education to families, caregivers, direct care workers and allied health professions students, faculty, and providers.
Special emphasis is on providing the primary care workforce with the knowledge and skills to care for older adults and on collaborating with community partners to address gaps in healthcare for older adults. Our community partners include other departments within JABSOM, other schools within the university system as well as agencies/organizations within the larger community.
- Principle Investigator: Aida Wen, MD <email@example.com>, 808-692-4015
- Co-Principle Investigator: Kamal Masaki, MD <firstname.lastname@example.org>, 808-692-4009
- Project Coordinator: Katherine Kim, MPH <email@example.com>, 808-692-1698
- Associate Coordinator : Jon Nakasone <firstname.lastname@example.org>, 808-962-1692
- Project Assistant: Neelma Skilling <email@example.com>, 808-962-1765